- In what ways, if any, do you think rats can be beneficial to humans?
- Do you believe that rats should be eliminated from certain environments? Why or why not?
- gather /GATH-er/
- determination /dih-tur-muh-NEY-shuhn/
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- restore /ri-STAWR/
- ecological /ee-kuh-LAA-juh-kl/
[verb] – When people or animals gather, they come together in a group
During the school field trip, we gathered at the entrance of the museum before exploring together as a group.
[noun] – the ability to continue trying to do something, although it is very difficult
Despite facing numerous challenges, she showed great determination and continued to work hard.
[noun] – a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other
Dogs and cats are different species because they have distinct characteristics and cannot breed with each other.
[verb] – to return something or someone to an earlier good condition or position
The community came together to restore the park, bringing it back to its earlier beauty.
[adjective] – relating to ecology or the environment
In our ecological study, we discovered how human activities can impact the balance of nature and harm ecological systems.
New Zealand is dedicated to preserving its biodiversity by removing predators that have harmed native bird species. With a deadline of 2050, the government is embarking on an unprecedented journey. Due to its isolation, New Zealand’s native birds are vulnerable to introduced pests. The loss of native species is a result of invasive mammals and human settlements. Despite the challenges, New Zealand remains determined to restore ecological balance and protect its bird treasures.
- What is New Zealand aiming to achieve regarding its native bird population?
- How does the goal reflect the nation’s dedication?
- Where is an example of the nationwide effort located?
- When do volunteers from Predator-Free Miramar gather?
- How do the volunteers monitor the progress of their efforts?
- Have you ever had problems with rats in your community? If so, can you share your experience? If not, have you heard about instances where rats have caused issues in communities?
- Have you ever taken part in any activities to protect wildlife or conserve nature in your community? If yes, can you tell me about your experience? If not, would you be interested in getting involved in conservation efforts?
- Are you concerned about the use of poison as a method to combat predators in initiatives like Predator-Free Miramar?
- What are your thoughts on the feasibility of New Zealand’s goal to eradicate rats and predators from the entire country by 2050?
- What concerns or criticisms do you have about using poison as a method to combat predators in initiatives like Predator-Free Miramar? Are there any alternative methods you think should be considered or given priority?