- Are you familiar with some prehistoric animals?
- Did you know about gigantic animals that lived millions of years before us?
- discovery /dih-SKUHV-uh-ree/
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- evidence /EV-i-duhns/
- estimate /ES-tuh-meyt/
- appreciate /uh-PREE-shee-eyt/
[noun] – the process of finding information, a place, or an object, especially for the first time, or the thing that is found
The hiker stumbled upon a hidden waterfall during her expedition, a delightful discovery in the wilderness.
[noun] – a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other
The hummingbird is a small and agile species capable of hovering in mid-air while feeding on nectar.
[noun] – one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true
The photographs served as crucial evidence in the court case, providing visual proof of the incident.
[verb] – to guess or calculate the cost, size, value, etc. of something
The meteorologist estimated the rainfall based on the weather patterns.
[verb] – to recognize how good someone or something is and to value them or it:
It’s important to appreciate the little things in life that bring us joy.
The findings suggest that the megalodon had a higher body temperature than its surroundings, similar to modern warm-blooded animals like mammals and birds. This would have given it advantages such as faster swimming, better awareness of its environment, and the ability to live in different parts of the ocean. This discovery provides insight into ancient ecosystems. Studying the adaptations of prehistoric creatures helps scientists appreciate the diversity and complexity of life in the past. This research opens the door for further exploration and a better understanding of this ancient predator.
True or False:
- Scientists did not discover anything new about the prehistoric Megalodon shark.
- Megalodon may have been a reptilian species.
- Limited fossilized remains of the megalodon have made it difficult to understand its biology and behavior.
- Scientists analyzed the scales of the megalodon to estimate its body temperature.
- The findings suggest that the megalodon had a higher body temperature than its surroundings.
Fill in the blanks:
- The conservation efforts aim to protect endangered ___________ and preserve biodiversity.
- Based on the available data, scientists ___________ that the population of a certain bird species has decreased by 30% in the last decade.
- Taking time to ___________ nature’s beauty can cultivate a sense of gratitude and connection to the environment.
- The scientists made an exciting ___________ of a previously unknown species of butterfly in the rainforest.
- The fingerprints found at the crime scene provided ___________ for identifying the culprit.