- Do you have knowledge of what nickel is?
- Are you familiar with the concept of nickel mining?
- damage /DAM-ij/
- pollution /puh-LOO-shuhn/
- despite /dih-SPAHYT/
- prevent /pri-VENT/
- demand /dih-MAND/
[verb] – to harm or spoil something
The construction activities near the river are damaging the natural habitat of several endangered species.
[puh-LOO-shuhn] – damage caused to water, air, etc. by harmful substances or waste
The industrial factory released toxic chemicals into the river, causing pollution.
[preposition] – without taking any notice of or being influenced by; not prevented by
Despite the heavy rain, the construction workers continued their work without taking any notice of the weather conditions.
[verb] – to stop something from happening or someone from doing something
The security measures in place helped prevent unauthorized access to the building.
[noun] – a need for something to be sold or supplied
The increasing demand for organic food has led to a rise in the number of farmers.
True or False:
- The coastal environment in Indonesia is being damaged due to nickel mining activities.
- The use of chemicals in mining operations has no adverse effects on coral reefs or sedimentation.
- Compensation adequately addresses the concerns raised by mining activities.
- Government regulations are sufficient to address the damage caused by mining in Indonesia.
- Finding a balance between development and preservation is crucial as nickel demand continues to grow.
Fill in the blanks:
- John managed to finish the project on time, _______ his busy schedule.
- The quick action of the firefighters _________ the fire from spreading to neighboring buildings.
- The construction work accidentally _______ the water pipeline.
- The release of the highly anticipated video game created a huge ______ among gamers.
- The dense smog in the city is a clear sign of air _________.