- What do you already know about pangolins?
- Is illegal trading of animals or poaching a widespread issue in your country? Which specific animals are commonly targeted in such activities?
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- conservation /kon-ser-VEY-shuhn/
- praise /preyz/
- strategy /STRAT-i-jee/
- preserved /pri-ZURV/
[noun] – a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other
Dolphins and whales belong to the same species known as cetaceans.
[noun] – the protection of plants and animals, natural areas, and interesting and important structures and buildings, especially from the damaging effects of human activity
The local community actively participates in conservation efforts to preserve the ancient ruins in the area.
[verb] – to express admiration or approval of the achievements or characteristics of a person or thing
The manager praised the team for their hard work and dedication on the project.
[noun] – carefully planned and specific approaches or methods that are designed to achieve a particular goal
The company’s new marketing strategy focuses on targeting a younger demographic through social media platforms.
[verb] – to keep something as it is, especially in order to prevent it from decaying or being damaged or destroyed
The historical society works tirelessly to preserve old buildings in the town center.
Recently, scientists studied confiscated scales from Hong Kong and China’s Yunnan province between 2012 and 2019. This in-depth research led them to discover genetic signs that had never been seen in any known pangolin before. This surprising revelation introduced a ninth species, named Manis mysteria. Jing-Yan Hu, one of the researchers, called this discovery unexpected. They examined 33 scale samples from different seizures. Each had its own special features, with five scales attached to skin, three to claws, and the rest coming from various parts of the pangolin. This finding changes what we know about pangolins and how they evolved. It helps conservationists know where to focus their efforts. Dr. Aryn Wilder, an expert in conservation genetics, praised this discovery as very important. She said it allows for specific plans to protect this new species and prevent it from disappearing. Wilder stressed the urgency of tailored conservation strategies to make sure Manis mysteria survives and its special diversity is preserved.
- What are pangolins often hunted and sold for?
- How many known species of pangolins were there before the recent discovery of Manis mysteria?
- Where were the confiscated pangolin scales studied by scientists?
- How many scale samples were examined in the study, and where were they taken from on the pangolins?
- According to Dr. Aryn Wilder, why is this discovery of Manis mysteria significant for conservation efforts?
- Have you ever heard about pangolins and how people are trying to protect them? If so, what did you learn? If not, what do you think after reading about them in this article?
- Have you ever helped or supported efforts to save endangered animals or their homes? If yes, can you share your experience? If not, how do you think regular people like us can help wildlife?
- Do you think finding a new kind of pangolin will make a big difference in helping them survive?
- Which animals do you think need more attention in Japan to stop them from being traded illegally? Are there any groups in your country trying to stop this?
- How do you think individuals can effectively raise awareness about the illegal trade of pangolins and contribute to their conservation efforts?