©André Zumak/Mamirauá Institute
- Have you heard about dolphins before?
- Do you know what a drought is?
- limited /LIM-i-tid/
- condition /kuhn-DISH-uhn/
- season /SEE-zuhn/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- distance /DIS-tuhns/
[adjective] – kept within a particular size or amount
The store has a limited supply of the popular toy, so it may sell out quickly.
[noun] – the particular state that something or someone is in
The car is in excellent condition and runs smoothly.
[noun] – one of the four periods of the year
I love the fall season when the leaves change color.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Climbing Mount Everest is a significant challenge that only a few have accomplished.
[noun] – the amount of space between two places
The distance between the two cities is approximately 200 miles.
True or False:
- Over 100 dolphins were found alive in Lake Tefé in the Brazilian Amazon.
- The high water temperature in Lake Tefé was one of the conditions believed to have caused the dolphin deaths.
- The Amazon River is currently in its wet season, making it easier for its wildlife to survive.
- Efforts are being made to move surviving dolphins to warmer river areas.
- CNN Brasil reports that there may be more severe droughts coming soon, which could lead to additional dolphin deaths.
Fill in the blanks:
- Many people look forward to the holiday ________, as it brings cooler weather and festive celebrations.
- In economics, a ________ amount of resources is available for investment, which affects decision-making.
- The ________ between the two cities is quite long, taking several hours to drive from one to the other.
- The doctor diagnosed the patient’s illness after examining their symptoms and assessing their overall health ________.
- Solving complex puzzles can be an enjoyable ________ for those who love brain teasers.