- Have you heard of the word ‘asteroid’ before?
- Do you know if asteroids are big or small objects in space?
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt /
- explore /ik-SPLAWR/
- protect /pruh-TEKT/
- dust /duhst /
- compare /kuhm-PAIR/
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
The archaeologists discovered ancient artifacts in the ruins of the old city.
[verb] – to search a place and discover things about it
They decided to explore the dense jungle to study its unique plant and animal life.
[verb] – to keep someone or something safe from injury, damage, or loss
It’s essential to protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s UV rays.
[noun] – dry dirt in the form of powder that covers surfaces inside a building, or very small dry pieces of soil, sand, or other substances
She wiped the dust from the bookshelves to make the room clean and tidy.
[verb] – to examine or look for the difference between two or more things
He liked to compare different models of cars to find the one that best suited his needs.
True or False:
- Apophis is named after an ancient Egyptian god of chaos.
- Apophis will come within 20,000 miles of Earth in approximately 5 ½ years.
- OSIRIS-APEX will collect samples from Apophis during its mission.
- The mission aims to explore and protect Earth from asteroids.
- People in Europe and Africa will need special tools to see Apophis during the 2029 encounter.
Fill in the blanks:
- After the construction work, the room was covered in a layer of fine ___________.
- In literature, studying ___________ texts allows us to delve into the stories of ancient civilizations.
- When you ___________ the cost of living in different cities, you may discover significant variations.
- A team of scientists embarked on an expedition to ___________ the uncharted depths of the ocean.
- The primary function of a firewall is to ___________ computer systems from cyberattacks.