- Have you heard of any recent outbreaks of viral diseases in the news?
- Have you ever been vaccinated against a specific viral disease?
- rare /rair/
- district /DIS-trikt/
- virus /VAHY-ruhs/
- difficulty /DIF-i-kuhl-tee/
- face /feys/
[adjective] – not common or frequent; very unusual
Seeing a shooting star is a rare and magical experience.
[noun] – an area of a country or town that has fixed borders that are used for official purposes, or that has a particular feature that makes it different from surrounding areas
The historic district of the city is known for its beautifully preserved architecture.
[noun] – a very small organism that causes disease in humans, animals, and plants
The flu is caused by a type of virus.
[noun] – the fact of not being easy to do or understand
She encountered difficulty in solving the complex math problem.
[verb] – to deal with a difficult situation
She had to face the reality of her financial situation.
True or False:
- The Nipah outbreak in Kerala is the first time it has happened since 2018.
- The Nipah virus is rare and dangerous.
- There is a vaccine available for the Nipah virus.
- The symptoms of Nipah virus include headaches, fatigue, and difficulty breathing.
- The Nipah virus prompted pig culling in Malaysia in 2018.
Fill in the blanks:
- It’s important to __________ challenges with a positive attitude.
- This __________ is known for its thriving arts community and vibrant nightlife.
- The advanced level of the puzzle added an extra layer of __________.
- The flu __________ can spread rapidly in a crowded environment, leading to outbreaks in schools and workplaces.
- This species of bird is so __________ that it’s considered endangered.