- Have you ever heard about earthquakes before?
- Do you know where earthquakes usually happen?
- damage /DAM-ij/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt/
- frequent /FREE-kwuhnt/
- government /GUHV-ern-muhnt/
- explode /ik-SPLOHD/
[noun] – harm or injury
The storm caused a lot of damage to the house.
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
The ancient ruins of the temple attract tourists from all over the world.
[adjective] – happening often
In the rainy season, we experience frequent thunderstorms in this region.
[noun] – the group of people who officially control a country
The government is responsible for making and enforcing laws in our country.
[verb] – to break up into pieces violently or to cause something to do this
The fireworks will explode in the sky with beautiful colors during the celebration.
True or False:
- Naples, Italy, recently experienced a magnitude 4.0 earthquake that caused significant injuries.
- A 4.2-magnitude earthquake on September 27th was felt in Rome.
- Campi Flegrei is an area known for ancient volcanoes and frequent seismic activity.
- The last major eruption in Campi Flegrei happened in 1983.
- People living near the volcanoes in the “yellow zone” and “red zone” want a new plan in case a volcano erupts.
Fill in the blanks:
- The recent earthquake in Naples, Italy, caused minor building __________, but luckily, there were no injuries.
- The region experiences __________ seismic activity.
- They discussed one where the ground settles, and another where a major eruption might __________.
- The area where these tremors occurred is known for its__________ volcanoes.
- INGV’s Carlo Doglioni shared two scenarios with the __________.