©World Surf League
- What sports achievement have you ever followed or heard about?
- What do you think it takes for athletes to break records in their respective sports?
- praise /preyz/
- courage /KUR-ij/
- massive /MAS-iv/
- demonstrate /DEM-uhn-streyt/
- barrier /BAR-ee-er/
[verb] – to express admiration or approval of the achievements or characteristics of a person or thing
The teacher praised the students for their hard work and dedication to the project.
[noun] – the ability to control your fear in a dangerous or difficult situation
Despite her fear, she displayed remarkable courage during the challenging rescue mission.
[adjective] – very large in size, amount, or number
The earthquake caused a massive disruption, shaking buildings and leaving widespread damage in its wake.
[verb] – to show or make something clear
During the science fair, students demonstrated various experiments to illustrate scientific principles.
[noun] – anything used or acting to block someone from going somewhere or from doing something, or to block something from happening
The language barrier made communication challenging during the international conference.
Laura Enever, who started her surfing journey at the age of 11 in Sydney, received official recognition from Guinness World Records in Narrabeen. After triumphing in junior competitions, she spent seven years competing in the World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour. Enever, a well-known surfer, fearlessly paddled into an unprecedented wave, describing it as the most significant in her surfing career. The remarkable achievement was documented on video, which was crucial for the validation of the record. Jessi Miley-Dyer, WSL’s chief of sport, praised Enever’s courage and dedication, and Layne Beachley, a seven-time world surfing champion, commended the accomplishment, highlighting the extraordinary nature of paddling into such a massive wave. Enever’s journey in surfing, spanning seven seasons on the World Surf League championship tour, demonstrates not only her personal triumph but also the progress of female big-wave surfers in breaking barriers. Enever’s achievement stands as an inspiration for future generations of female surfers, urging them to explore new frontiers in this exhilarating sport.
- Who recently accomplished a remarkable feat by paddling into the largest wave ever ridden by a woman in the Himalayas at Oahu, Hawaii?
- What was the size of the wave that Laura Enever paddled into, setting a new record for women in the sport?
- Where did Laura Enever start her surfing journey, and at what age did she begin?
- What type of recognition did Laura Enever receive for her achievement in surfing, and where did the official recognition take place?
- How long did Laura Enever compete in the World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour?
- Have you ever tried big-wave surfing or other extreme water sports? If yes, can you share your experiences and the challenges or thrills you faced? If not, what aspects of these sports do you find interesting or intimidating, and would you consider trying them someday?
- Has someone’s achievement in an extreme sport ever inspired you, like Laura Enever’s accomplishment in big-wave surfing? If yes, who was that person, and how did their story impact you? If not, can you think of any achievements or stories that might motivate you to explore new activities?
- Do you think Laura Enever’s record-breaking feat of paddling into the largest wave by a woman is a significant milestone for big-wave surfing?
- How might Laura Enever’s accomplishment in paddling into the largest wave by a woman change how people see big-wave surfing? What impact could this have on the sport’s popularity and recognition?
- Considering Laura Enever’s accomplishment, what do you think individuals and the government should do to better support extreme sports athletes? How can society help create more opportunities and recognition for athletes in less mainstream sports?