- Do you believe that wages in your industry or field are fair and competitive?
- Do you believe that wages should be adjusted for inflation over time?
- raise /reyz/
- minimum /MIN-uh-muhm/
- aim /eym/
- limit /LIM-it/
- allow /uh-LOU/
[verb] – to cause something to increase or become bigger, better, higher, etc.
The company implemented a new marketing strategy to raise brand awareness and attract a larger customer base.
[adjective] – the lowest or smallest amount, quantity, or degree that is acceptable, allowed, or possible in a particular context
The company has set a minimum order quantity for bulk purchases to ensure cost-effectiveness for both parties.
[verb] – setting a target or goal
She aims to complete her novel by the end of the year.
[noun] – the greatest amount, number, or level of something that is either possible or allowed
The doctor advised him to stay within the daily calorie limit in order to maintain a healthy weight.
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
The new policy allows for greater flexibility in scheduling, benefiting both employees and the company.
True or False:
- Prime Minister Kishida lowered Japan’s minimum wage to ¥800 this year, falling short of the government’s goal.
- Kishida intends to decrease the minimum wage to ¥1,200 by the mid-2030s.
- Shunsuke Kobayashi, a prominent economist, emphasizes the importance of removing barriers to achieving better wages.
- The ‘¥1.3 million barrier’ affects spouses in small companies, as earning more can lead to higher insurance costs, reducing take-home pay.
- Part-time workers tend to earn less per hour but work more hours overall.
Fill in the blanks:
- Flexible work hours __________ employees to balance their professional and personal lives more effectively.
- The teacher provided constructive feedback to help the students __________ the quality of their projects to a higher level.
- There is a weight __________ for baggage on the flight, so be sure not to exceed it to avoid extra charges.
- The government established a __________ wage to ensure that workers receive fair compensation for their labor.
- The company __________ to increase its market share by 20% in the next fiscal quarter.