- globe /glohb/
- revelation /rev-uh-LEY-shuhn/
- nest /nest /
- originate /uh-RIJ-uh-neyt /
- extinction /ik-STINGK-shuhn/
[noun] – the world
The environmental conference discussed strategies for mitigating the impact of climate change on the globe.
[noun] – the act of making something known that was secret, or a fact that is made known
The revelation of the hidden treasure map in the old attic excited the entire family, sparking an adventurous quest to unearth the long-lost riches.
[noun] – a structure built by birds or insects to leave their eggs in to develop, and by some other animals to give birth or live in
The robin carefully built its nest in the branches of the tall oak tree, creating a cozy home for its future offspring.
[verb] – to come from a particular place, time, situation, etc.
The traditional recipe for lasagna is believed to originate from Italy, where it has been passed down through generations.
[noun] – a situation in which something no longer exists
The alarming rate of deforestation in the rainforest is contributing to the extinction of many unique species of plants and animals.
This alarming discovery underscores the pressing issue of invasive species, which cost the world a staggering $423 billion annually, leading to plant and animal extinctions, food security threats, and exacerbating environmental crises globally, as highlighted by a recent United Nations-backed report.
- Have you ever encountered an invasive species or witnessed the impact of invasive species on your local environment? If yes, please share your experience and how it affected the ecosystem. If not, based on this article, what do you think are the potential consequences of invasive species in your region, and how would you prepare for them?
- Can you recall a situation where a scientific discovery or revelation had a significant impact on your perspective or understanding of a particular topic? If yes, please describe that experience and how it influenced your viewpoint. If not, considering the red fire ant discovery in Europe, how do you think groundbreaking scientific revelations can shape public awareness and policy decisions regarding environmental issues?
- Do you believe that the recent discovery of red fire ants in Europe will have significant ecological and economic consequences for the affected region?
- What measures do you think should be taken to contain the spread of red fire ants in Europe, considering the potential ecological and economic impacts discussed in the article?
- Given the potential for red fire ants to spread across Europe and the ecological and economic concerns associated with invasive species, how might this situation prompt discussions and actions related to international cooperation and biodiversity conservation efforts?