- prominent /PROM-uh-nuhnt/
- establishment /ih-STAB-lish-muhnt /
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
- disclose /dih-SKLOHZ/
- affordable /uh-FAWR-duh-buhl/
[adjective] – very well known and important
The prominent scientist received the Nobel Prize for her groundbreaking research in the field of medicine.
[noun] – the process or act of creating or setting up something new
The establishment of a new business branch in the city contributed to the company’s expansion in the region.
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
The company introduced a green initiative to reduce its carbon footprint and promote sustainability within its operations.
[verb] – to make something known publicly, or to show something that was hidden
The company will disclose its financial report to shareholders during the annual meeting next week.
[adjective] – not expensive
The new housing development aimed to provide affordable apartments for low-income families in the area.
Although Honda has not confirmed this news, Canada’s industry minister’s office praised the potential investment, mentioning that it reflects the high quality of Canada’s workforce and the strength of its industry. Honda has been a bit slow in selling electric vehicles compared to other cars. Only a tiny portion, less than 0.5%, of their worldwide car sales in the first nine months of 2023 were electric vehicles. This potential factory might be situated near an existing car factory in Ontario, Canada. Honda is exploring various locations for this plant and aims to make a decision by the end of this year. If things go as planned, the new factory could start operating as early as 2028. Honda has already made plans to start producing and selling EVs in North America by 2026, based on their new Honda e:Architecture. In 2022, they announced a joint-venture with LG Energy Solution to build a battery plant in Ohio. However, in October 2023, Honda and General Motors canceled their plan to collaborate on making affordable electric vehicles, a year after agreeing to a $5 billion deal to compete with Tesla in sales.
- Have you or someone you know considered purchasing an electric vehicle? If yes, what factors influenced this consideration? If not, what do you think might encourage people to consider buying an electric car over a traditional gasoline-powered vehicle?
- In your opinion, how might the establishment of a Honda EV factory in Canada impact the accessibility and popularity of electric vehicles in North America?
- Do you agree that Honda’s potential investment in establishing an EV factory in Canada reflects a significant step towards their commitment to electric vehicle production?
- Considering the canceled partnership between Honda and General Motors for affordable electric vehicles, what potential challenges might Honda face in achieving its goals for electric vehicle production and sales in North America?
- Reflecting on Honda’s slow sales of electric vehicles compared to other car types, what strategies could Honda implement to increase the market share and popularity of its electric vehicles in the coming years?
- electric vehicle