- How do you think the shift towards electric vehicles might impact the global automotive market in the coming years?
- Can you name any automakers that have recently made significant strides in electric vehicle technology or manufacturing?
- confirm /kuhn-FURM/
- investment /in-VEST-muhnt/
- worldwide /wuhld-WIDE/
- deal /deel/
- compete /kuhm-PEET/
[verb] – to officially state or declare the truth or validity of something
The company will confirm the appointment by sending a confirmation email to all participants.
[noun] – the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage, or the money, effort, time, etc. used to do this
Making smart investments in education can lead to long-term personal and societal benefits.
[adverb] – involving or extending throughout the entire world
The company’s products are available for purchase worldwide, reaching customers in numerous countries across the globe.
[noun] – an agreement or an arrangement, especially in business
After the negotiations, the business leaders finally reached a mutually beneficial deal regarding the distribution rights of the new product line.
[verb] – to try to be more successful than someone or something else
The company is striving to compete with its rivals by offering innovative features and exceptional customer service to attract a larger market share.
Even though Honda has not confirmed this yet, Canada’s industry minister’s office is excited about the possible investment. They think it shows how good Canada’s workers are and how strong its industry is. Honda has not sold many electric cars compared to other types. In the first nine months of 2023, less than 0.5% of the cars they sold worldwide were electric. They are thinking of building this new factory near another car factory in Ontario, Canada. Honda is looking at different places for this factory and wants to decide by the end of this year. If everything goes well, the factory might start working in 2028. Honda is already planning to make and sell EVs in North America by 2026 using their new Honda e:Architecture. In 2022, they said they would work together with LG Energy Solution to build a battery plant in Ohio. But in October 2023, Honda and General Motors canceled their plan to make cheaper electric cars together, even after agreeing to a $5 billion deal a year earlier to compete with Tesla.
- What major consideration is Honda pondering regarding its business in Canada, as per the article?
- How much money might Honda invest in its proposed electric vehicle factory in Canada?
- When did the Nikkei news group share information about Honda’s potential investment in Canada?
- What is the response of Canada’s industry minister’s office regarding Honda’s potential investment?
- How many electric cars did Honda sell compared to other types in the first nine months of 2023?
- Have you or someone you know thought about buying an electric car? If yes, what made you or them think about it? If not, what could make people want to buy an electric car instead of a regular gasoline car?
- In your opinion, how might the establishment of a Honda EV factory in Canada impact the accessibility and popularity of electric vehicles in North America?
- Do you agree that Honda’s potential investment in establishing an EV factory in Canada reflects a significant step towards its commitment to electric vehicle production?
- What difficulties might Honda face when trying to sell electric cars in North America after choosing not to partner with General Motors for cheaper electric vehicles?
- Honda hasn’t sold many electric cars compared to other types. What do you think Honda could do to sell more electric cars and make them more popular in the future?