- disorder /dis-AWR-der/
- transition /tran-ZISH-uhn/
- comprehensive /kom-pri-HEN-siv/
- exclusive /ik-SKLOO-siv/
- prominent /PROM-uh-nuhnt/
[noun] an illness of the mind or body
Kath thinks that Steph may have an eating disorder.
[noun] a change from one form or type to another
The transition from farm life to city life is very difficult.
[adjective] complete and including everything that is necessary
The government’s comprehensive budget covers a two-year plan that focuses on education and health.
[adjective] limited to only one person or group of people
The Spiderman game is exclusive for the PlayStation.
[adjective] very well known and important
She occupies a prominent position in the office.
Internet addiction, according to the researchers, is the disproportionate use of the Internet that negatively affects the life of an individual. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Internet gaming disorder has become a mental health condition. The benchmark for gaming disorder in WHO’s International Classification of Diseases comprises at least 12 months of frequent patterns of gaming, loss of control, and continuously gaming even though there is a negative aftermath in other aspects of life.
But did you know that there is a way to escape from this addiction? It is called the short-term cognitive behavioral therapy. According to the study presented in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Psychiatry, this therapy consists of 15 weeks of group and individual discussions and is divided into three stages: education about the addiction, the healthy use of the Internet, and its transition into everyday living. Researchers used a comprehensive definition of Internet addiction which includes patients who were addicted to gaming, social networking sites, and online surfing.
Klaus Wölfling, the lead author of the study, claimed that their assessment is exclusive for men because they are the prominent patients for Internet addiction. They gathered 143 men between ages 17 and 55 who passed the Assessment of Internet and Computer Game Addiction. The 14 criteria of the study comprise frequency of Internet activity, withdrawal symptoms, preoccupation with the Internet, and a loss of interest in other life activities. The result of Internet addiction got a score of more than 13, while temporary recovery got a score of less than 7.
At the end of the treatment, patients in the therapy group developed lower cases of addiction indications such as disengagement, distraction, and better social work. “This indicates a strong treatment effect for subjects suffering from Internet addiction or gaming disorder,” said Wölfling. “Patients might profit even further if the treatment phase would be prolonged,” he said in the JAMA Psychiatry podcast. He also stated that the understanding of the person and the development of the pathological behavior may be more important for the patient to learn about their history and own life’s development.
The Internet is one of the greatest inventions that man has ever made. In just a simple click, you are now connected to everyone and everywhere. But you should also be responsible for using it because if you’re not, this wonderful creation will lead you to danger.
- What kind of disorder is considered a mental health condition according to WHO?
- How many weeks does short-term cognitive-behavioral therapy have?
- How many men were involved in this research?
- What does the 14-criteria study comprise of?
- According to the article, what will happen if we don’t control ourselves in using the Internet?
- What do you think are the causes of Internet addiction? Please cite examples.
- In your own opinion, do you think Internet addiction can be considered as a mental health condition? Why or why not?
- What do you think are the reasons why people are getting hooked in using the Internet? Please cite examples.
- Do you agree that people who have Internet gaming disorder should be sent into medical institutions or boot camps? Please explain your answer.
- How can you help yourself not to be addicted to the Internet? Please give examples.