- Do you always use the Internet? Why or why not?
- Which do you prefer, playing online games or surfing? Please explain your answer.
- addiction /uh-DIK-shuhn/
- influence /IN-floo-uhns/
- therapy /THER-uh-pee/
- education /ej-oo-KEY-shuhn/
- creation /kree-EY-shuhn/
[noun] an inability to stop doing or using something
Many people died in the war against drug addiction.
[noun] the power to have an effect on people or things, or a person or thing that is able to do this
You’re a good influence to me.
[noun] a treatment that helps someone feel better, grow stronger, etc., especially after an illness
I’ve been in physical therapy since I was twenty years old.
[noun] the process of teaching or learning
Education is the key to success.
[noun] something that is made
This car is one of my greatest creations.
But there’s a way on how to treat someone who has been under the influence of Internet addiction, and that is the short-term cognitive-behavioral therapy. It consists of 15 weeks of group and individual discussions on education about addiction, healthy use of the Internet, and its effect on everyday living. The study says that all of the 143 participants between ages 17 and 55 who passed the Assessment of Internet and Computer Game Addiction are men because they are more prone to Internet addiction. At the end of the treatment, patients established lower cases of addiction such as disconnection from the virtual world, distraction, and better social work.
The Internet is one of the best creations that humans ever made. But you should be responsible because too much use of the Internet can destroy someone’s life.
- What is Internet addiction according to the researchers?
- What did the World Health Organization say about Internet gaming disorder?
- According to the article, what therapy is used to treat someone who is suffering from Internet Addiction?
- In the article, why did the researchers choose men as their primary participants in their research?
- Based on the article, what was the result of the treatment?
- What do you think are the reasons why a lot of people spend hours using the Internet? Please explain your answer.
- Do you consider yourself a “netizen”? Why or why not?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Internet? Please cite examples.
- When do you say that a person is addicted to the Internet? Kindly elaborate.
- How can you help yourself not to be an Internet addict? Please cite examples.