- Do you enjoy traveling? Why or why not?
- Have you been to a different country? If yes, please tell me more. If no, where would you like to go?
- initial /ih-NISH-uhl/
- manner /MAN-er/
- misconduct /mis-KON-duhkt/
- assess /uh-SES/
- method /METH-uhd/
[adjective] of or at the beginning
The project’s initial preparation is taking too much time.
[noun] the usual way in which you behave towards other people or the way you behave on a particular occasion
One must practice proper manners while eating.
[noun] unacceptable or illegal behavior by a person or group in a position of authority
His misconduct at work caused his termination from the company.
[verb] to make a decision about a person or situation after considering all the information
It is difficult to assess the effects of the plan’s changes.
[noun] a particular way of doing something
What method of payment would you prefer?
Visitors who have a tourist app guide installed on their smartphones receive reminders about local manners in Chinese and English. Survey results gathered from the local residents and pictures taken from street cameras will be used to assess the effects of the project. A Kyoto city government official said that they are looking for different methods to address and improve their ways of handling issues affecting cultural differences.
- Who started the project of reminding tourists about local manners in Kyoto?
- What will the city government use to evaluate the effects of the project?
- Where did the project first take place based on the article?
- Until when will the project last?
- According to the article, what did the local residents complain about?
- What can you say about Kyoto city government’s way of monitoring tourists’ behavior in the city?
- What do you think are the benefits of surveying tourists’ manners in a country or city?
- What cities or places in Japan are famous for tourists? Please enumerate.
- Do you think the project should be done in other cities of Japan as well? Please explain your answer.
- In your opinion, is it difficult to adjust to a different country’s culture? Why or why not?