- resume /ri-ZOOM /
- enhanced /en-HANS-t/
- ease of mind /eez-uhv-mahynd/
- accommodate /uh-KOM-uh-deyt/
- furlough /FUR-loh/
[verb] – to start again after a pause
The staff will resume their work after lunch.
[adjective] – greater in value than before
Enhanced training procedures will be effective by next month.
[phrasal noun] – the condition of not being worried
Let your mother know about your decision for her ease of mind.
[verb] – to give what is needed
Jerry’s hotel reservation can only accommodate 4 people.
[noun] – a period of time that a worker or a soldier is allowed to be absent, especially to return temporarily to their own town or country
He is given an ordinary furlough on discharge from hospital.
A lot of people who depend on tourism are affected like in the U.S. alone, a vast number of people are laid off or furloughed according to Roger Dow, the president and CEO of the U.S. Travel Association. Governments in some places are stepping in to help the sector but the French government will help the chain get through it by paying at least 80% of furloughed hotel workers’ salaries. Many destinations assume tourists’ behavior will change like going in small groups or seeking personalized tours and travelers may shift away from crowded beaches to the quieter interior mountains. But not everyone is comfortable with reopening like the hotel in Bibione of Venice, and would rather open again next year than to serve their guests this summer with staff wearing masks. Other owners remain optimistic like the tour and adventure provider in Bali, Indonesia who’s promoting his business on social media while business is still close and received many positive responses from most of his domestic tourist clients from Indonesia.
True or False:
- The global tourism industry will make some changes that will make sure of the safety distancing over the fear of COVID-19.
- Some hotels and airlines plan to improve some cleaning procedures to calm travelers’ minds.
- The government in some places involved themselves in helping the sector.
- The French government won’t help the chain to get through by paying 80% of furloughed hotel workers’ salaries.
- An owner of a tour and adventure in Bali, Indonesia who’s promoting his business on social media while it’s closed and received many negative responses for being insensitive.
- Do you think tourism will be back to normal we used to know?
- According to the article, what are some of the new norms in tourism?
- How did the fear over COVID-19 affect tourism?
- What are the changes made in your country to secure tourism?
- What is the first country you would like to visit after this pandemic? Please explain your answer
Express Your Opinion:
- “We sense that ‘normal’ isn’t coming back, that we are being born into a new normal: a new kind of society, a new relationship to the earth, a new experience of being human.” – Charles Eisenstein
- “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of experiencing life”. – Henry Miller
- Some people say traveling is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.