- integrate /IN-ti-greyt/
- seamlessly /SEEM-lis-lee/
- move /moov/
- cross- /kros/
- elaborate /ih-LAB-uh-reyt/
[verb] – to combine two or more things in order to become more effective
The management is planning to integrate the new software into their work system.
[adverb] – without any sudden changes, interruptions, or problems
The program was able to carry on seamlessly despite the last minute changes.
[noun] – an action taken to achieve something
Buying that property ten years ago was really a good move.
[prefix] – across
Cross-party discussions have already started.
[verb] – to add more information to or explain something that you have said
We will elaborate the processes involved in step two later.
This strategy by Facebook to integrate the three social networking sites was announced last year. For consumers, this move by the company may be seen as a great opportunity for cross-app communications. The industry observers on the other hand see the move as Facebook securing its top spot over the demographic in these messaging apps. Facebook will also roll out the new features on WhatsApp but did not elaborate any further with its timeline.
True or False:
- Last month, Facebook announced that it will roll out its latest updates with social networking sites Instagram, Facebook, and Messenger.
- The new update will allow users to send messages from Instagram and WhatsApp to Messenger without switching applications.
- The “watch together” feature can allow users to live stream their video calls.
- The “vanish mode” makes messages disappear after closing the chat.
- Facebook did not discuss any specific time on when the new features will be available on WhatsApp.
- Do you think that this business move by Facebook is a good one? Why or why not?
- Do you think more people will use Facebook because of this? Explain your answer.
- Do you think social networking sites change our behavior? Why or why not?
- Should children be allowed to use social media sites? Explain your answer.
- What are the pros and cons of having a social media account?
Express Your Opinion:
- “If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends. If you make customers unhappy on the Internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends.”
– Jeff Bezos, CEO at Amazon.com
- When you give everyone a voice and give people power, the system usually ends up in a really good place. So, what we view our role as, is giving people that power.
– Mark Zuckerberg, Founder at Facebook.com
- “When you’ve got 5 minutes to fill, Twitter is a great way to fill 35 minutes.”
– Matt Cutts, software engineer and former head of Google’s web spam team