- endeavor /en-DEV-er/
- humanitarian /hyoo-man-i-TAIR-ee-uhn/
- occurrence /uh-KUR-uhns/
- speechless /speech-lis/
- executive /ig-ZEK-yuh-tiv/
[noun] – an attempt to do something
Even if we did endeavors to contact her, we still failed in the end.
[adjective] – a person who is involved in or connected with improving people’s lives and reducing suffering
The United Nations is considered a big humanitarian organization.
[noun] – something that happens
Arguing with my brother is an everyday occurence at home.
[adjective] – unable to speak because you are so angry, shocked, surprised, etc.
She was speechless when she heard that she had won the award.
[adjective] – relating to making decisions and managing businesses, or suitable for people with important jobs in business
His executive skills were the result of his training in the company.
The next year after that, it started a development mission in Sudan and established its first school meals project in Togo. By 1965, The WFP became a fully-fledged UN agency because of its proven value to the world. Furthermore, The WFP uses 5,600 trucks, 30 ships and almost 100 planes to disseminate stocks to places throughout the world, giving more than 15 billion rations each year. “This is the first time in my life I’ve been speechless! This is unbelievable,” David Beasley, the WFP’s free-spoken American executive director, told this statement after hearing about the award.
True or False:
- The WFP’s greatest major mission was when an earthquake knocked Northern Iran.
- US Senator Dwight Eisenhower requested for the WFP to be established in 1961.
- WFP is one of the world’s biggest humanitarian organizations today.
- David Beasley is the WFP’s free-spoken American director.
- The World Food Programme obtained the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize on July 9, 2020.
- How did you feel after reading the article?
- Would you also be speechless if you won the Nobel Peace Prize award? Please tell me more.
- What other humanitarian organizations do you know? Tell me about them.
- If you were given a chance to help others, how would you do it?
- What humanitarian organization would you like to be a part of? Why?
Express Your Opinion:
- “Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste.” ― Charlotte Bronte
- “One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.”― Shannon L. Alder
- “Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others.” ― Brian Tracy