- soar /sawr/
- exceed /IK-seed/
- weary /WEER-ee/
- surge /surj/
- foresee /fawr-SEE/
[adjective] – rising very quickly to a high level
The soaring price of goods is a serious problem to the people in the community.
[verb] – to be greater than a number or amount, or to go past an allowed limit
Drivers who exceed the speed limit would be penalized.
[adjective] – very tired, especially after working hard for a long time
I think he’s weary after his travel from South Korea to California.
[verb] – to increase suddenly and strongly
The company’s profits surged due to the products that were released last month.
[verb] – to know about something before it happen
I don’t foresee any conflicts so long as we do this process.
Many weary Americans desired to spend their time with their family and friends for Thanksgiving. However, they had faced another dangerous calculation as they considered dismissing travel plans at the last minute or going ahead as COVID-19 cases surged. Gail Duilio, an ex-public health nurse in Portland, Oregon, had considered not traveling to Minnesota for the holiday and her mother’s 93rd birthday. She said that, when she was making the arrangements a few weeks ago, she felt the danger vs. benefits weighed on the side of going. Travel organization AAA has announced that it foresees at least a 10% reduction in travel this Thanksgiving because of the increasing number of coronavirus cases.
True or False:
- All Americans chose to stay home than traveling over the holiday week.
- The number of travelers screened at US airport security checkpoints exceeded 1 million for only the second time after March.
- Gail Duilio, an ex-public health nurse in Portland, Oregon, has considered not traveling to New York for the holiday.
- Many weary Americans are desiring to spend their time with their family and friends for Thanksgiving.
- Some Americans face another dangerous calculation as they consider dismissing travel plans at the last minute or going ahead as COVID-19 cases surge.
- Do you think Gail Duilio had a tough time thinking about cancelling her travel over the holiday week?
- Why do you think many Americans still want to travel in these times?
- If you were American, would still travel to celebrate Thanksgiving?
- Do you think it is good to travel to other places these times? Why or why not?
- When was the last time you traveled? Tell me about it.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled.” -Mohamed
- “The journey not the arrival matters.” -T.S.Eliot