- haul /hawl/
- trace /treys/
- liquify /LI-kwi-fai/
- archive /AHR-kahyv/
- surmise /ser-MAHYZ/
[noun] – the quantity of what was caught
The fishermen had a better haul compared to last month.
[verb] – to discover the causes or origins of something
The origins of this country’s customs is surprisingly difficult to trace.
[verb] – to become or make something liquid
Most ice patches in the Antarctic are liquifying because of global warming.
[noun] – a place where historical records are kept
Sasha’s been studying the town’s records in the local archive.
[verb] – to decide something is true without having complete information or proof
The article surmised the possibility; it’s not yet confirmed.
The Langfonne ice patch has since 70% liquefied two decades ago due to global warming. Lars Pilø, an archaeologist from the Innlandet County Council and the study’s lead author, said “With the ice now retreating due to climate change, the evidence for ancient hunting at Langfonne is reappearing from what is in essence a frozen archive.” He added, “The ice melt, sad as it is, provides an unprecedented archaeological opportunity for new knowledge.” According to further inspection, the arrows were in poor condition, which led researchers to surmise that ice movement resulted in their bad state.
True or False:
- A 2,000-year-old leather boot is among the artifacts found in Norway.
- Archeologists found a total of 70 arrows at the Langfonne ice patch.
- The said ice patch is found in the Jotunheim Mountains.
- 70% of the Langfonne ice patch has retreated since two decades ago.
- Further research show that the arrows were in poor condition.
Situation: You are a student tasked with creating a report about artifacts and the natural treasures in your country.
Question: What is the importance of natural treasures/artifacts?
- cultural properties
- some notable examples are…
Express Your Opinion:
- “Stale artifacts of the past are always active components of the present moment when they are experienced in the present moment.” — Walter Darby Bannard
- “No artifact is a work of art if it does not help to humanize us. Without art… our world would have remained a jungle.” — Bernard Berenson
- “The beauty of artifacts is in how they reassure us we’re not the first to die.” — Simon Van Booy