- market /MAHR-kit/
- automate /AW-tuh-meyt/
- defect /DEE-fekt/
- vicinity /vi-SIN-i-tee/
- discrimination /pruh-nuhn-see-EY-shuhn/
[verb] – to offer products for sale to buyers
Our new marketing strategy is working flawlessly.
[verb] – to make something operate automatically by using machines or computers
Several banks have begun to automate processes.
[noun] – something that is lacking or that is not exactly right in someone or something
Were the quality checkers able to find any defect in the products?
[noun] – the area immediately surrounding something
According to witnesses, the stolen car was found in the vicinity of the station.
[noun] – the treatment of a person or particular group of people differently, in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated
Discrimination in the workplace is strictly prohibited.
The Trades Union Congress (TUC) policy officer Mary Towers said, “The announcement of this new monitoring tool is another example of how this revolution at work is picking up pace.” However, she warns about its possible negative impact on employees. She added that the technology may harm the workers’ well-being, data privacy and protection, and rights against discrimination. An Amazon spokeswoman, however, explains that the AWS Panorama is designed to improve workplace safety and operations. She assures that it does not contain facial recognition capabilities.
True or False:
- The AWS Panorama was originally intended to work as a surveillance camera on people.
- An Amazon spokeswoman said that the AWS Panorama has no facial recognition capabilities.
- Towers warns companies about the possible negative effects the AWS Panorama has on their employees.
- Amazon plans to sell Panorama boxes for companies to see if their employees are following safety protocols.
- Amazon mentioned that the cameras cannot monitor people within an area.
Situation: You are a sales representative of a surveillance and security firm and you are marketing your products to a company.
Question: How do you convince the company that the cameras are safe?
- designed to…
- data privacy and protection
Express Your Opinion:
- “Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important.” — Bill Gates
- “Privacy is not an option, and it shouldn’t be the price we accept for just getting on the Internet.” — Gary Kovacs
- “Our technological powers increase, but the side effects and potential hazards also escalate.” — Alvin Toffler