- immense /ih-MENS/
- trauma /TROU-muh/
- disorder /dis-AWR-der/
- scenario /si-NAIR-ee-oh/
- contemplate /KON-tuhm-pleyt/
[adjective] – extremely large in size or degree
They spent an immense amount of money to buy that car.
[noun] – (a) severe emotional shock and pain caused by an extremely upsetting experience
The trauma that he experienced turned him to be anti-social.
[noun] – an illness of the mind or body
His family has a history of mental disorder.
[noun] – a description of possible actions or events in the future
The most likely scenario is that the prices of goods will rise.
[verb] – to spend time considering a possible future action, or to consider one particular thing for a long time in a serious and quiet way
They are contemplating a move to Manila next year.
Psychotherapist and writer Owen O’Kane, who served as an NHS clinical lead for mental health and as a palliative care nurse before, told CNN that he was not surprised by the study’s results although they were quite shocking to read. It has been a harsh year so it did not startle him that the staff is struggling. According to him, medical workers are used to dealing with stressful surroundings. Also, they are used to dealing with death and tough choices — but he thinks the part of the challenge at the moment is that it is unceasingly intense. There is no real pause. They are constantly dealing with difficult situations and watching lots of people die.
True or False:
- According to the article, an immense number of office workers experienced trauma because of working in the intensive care unit during the coronavirus pandemic in the US.
- New research shows that doctors and nurses have symptoms of post-traumatic stress.
- The UK recorded its second most lethal day since the start of the pandemic on January 2, 2020.
- The UK Health Secretary is Matt Hancock.
- According to Matt Hancock, medical workers are used to dealing with stressful surroundings.
Situation: You have a friend who wants to travel inside his/her country.
Question: What advice would give him/her?
- think about
Express Your Opinion:
- “The trauma said, ‘Don’t write these poems.
Nobody wants to hear you cry about the grief inside your bones.” ― Andrea Gibson, The Madness Vase
- “PTSD is a whole-body tragedy, an integral human event of enormous proportions with massive repercussions.” ― Susan Pease Banitt
- “We don’t heal in isolation, but in community.” ― S. Kelley Harrell, Gift of the Dreamtime – Reader’s Companion