© Reuters via CNN
- parental /puh-REN-tl/
- matriculation exam /muh-trik-yoo-LEY-shuhn ig-ZAM/
- mandatory /MAN-duh-tawr-ee/
- prioritize /prahy-AWR-i-tahyz/
- variant /VAIR-ee-uhnt/
[adjective] – relating to parents or to being a parent
The school welcomes parental involvement in some of its activities.
[noun] – the final examination taken by students leaving school.
Make sure to study a lot for your matriculation exam and get a decent score.
[adjective] – used to describe something that must be done, usually because the law states that it is necessary
Attendance is always mandatory at all meetings.
[verb] – to arrange in order of importance so that you can deal with the most important things before the others
Start by prioritizing your tasks before doing them so you can manage your time better.
[noun] – something that is slightly different from other similar things
Lily’s parents sell variants of sodas and other beverages.
Israel has the fastest vaccination drive in the world, having already vaccinated 10% of its population by the end of 2020. It started providing shots on December 19 last year and currently has a quarter of its total population vaccinated. The country prioritized high-risk individuals and the elderly in giving the vaccine, but people over the age of 40 can get the shots as well. Israel aims to restore its economy in February. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “Other than rare exceptions, we are closing the sky hermetically to prevent the entry of the virus variants and also to ensure that we progress quickly with our vaccination campaign.”
True or False:
- Only the elderly were given the vaccine first in Israel.
- Israel started giving vaccinations as early as December 19 last year.
- 16 to 19-year-old Israelis were given vaccination before their admission exams.
- The exams do not determine a student’s placement in the military.
- The teens receiving vaccination need parental permission.
Situation: You are a student in your last year of high school and you want to have the coronavirus vaccine, but your parents are against the idea.
Question: How do you convince your parents?
- admission exam
Express Your Opinion:
- “The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” — Aristotle
- “Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.” — Abigail Adams
- “The greatest wealth is health.” — Virgil