- undergo /uhn-der-GOH/
- unload /uhn-LOHD/
- anticipation /an-tis-uh-PEY-shuhn/
- ultimately /UHL-tuh-mit-ly/
- drastic /DRAS-tik /
[verb] – to experience something that is unpleasant or something that involves a change
He underwent reconstructive surgery after the accident to repair his face.
[verb] – to remove the contents of something, especially a load of goods from a vehicle, the bullets from a gun or the film from a camera
We watched a ship unloading sacks of rice.
[noun] – a feeling of excitement about something that is going to happen in the near future
For several months, the postponement of the film’s sequel kept moviegoers in eager anticipation.
[adverb] – finally, after a series of things have happened
At the meeting with the directors next week, everything will eventually depend on what is said.
[adjective] – (especially of actions) severe and sudden or having very noticeable effects
They implemented drastic measures to ensure people’s safety.
A year has passed since the 11 million-strong central Chinese city was put under the world’s first coronavirus lockdown on the 23rd of January. At least 3,869 people of Wuhan ultimately died from the virus, which has claimed over two million lives across the globe since then. As planes, trains, and buses leaving Wuhan were canceled, highways were blocked and individuals were ordered to remain in their homes, relying on officials and volunteers for everyday necessities, the world was shocked. Initially, it was hard to access hospitals for patients, families, and even some healthcare staff. But those drastic steps have now been heralded by the Chinese government as critical to curbing the initial outbreak, and similar measures have now been implemented in countries around the world, with even lockdowns being carried out in some cities outside China. In that sense, in taming the virus, Wuhan has become a success story. A local coronavirus infection has not been reported for months.
True or False:
- A year has passed since the 11 million-strong central Chinese city was put under the world’s first coronavirus lockdown on the 23rd of January.
- According to the article, Office employees fill up famous restaurants during their lunch break.
- According to the article, Wuhan has become a success story.
- A local coronavirus infection has not been reported for months in Wuhan.
- Older couples descend into the parks of the area, performing dance moves along the Han River.
Situation: You are a student and you are tasked to report in class.
Question: What rules were implemented by Wuhan officials to be free from coronavirus today.
- drastic measures
- In that sense
Express Your Opinion:
- “The road to Recovery will not always be easy, but I will take it one day at a time, focusing on the moments I’ve dreamed about for so long.” — Amanda Lindhout.
- “The fact that you woke up this morning is proof that this day has already been predetermined in your favor.” — Russ Kyle.
- “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” ~Zen proverb