- What strict measures do you follow nowadays?
- Have you heard about the situation of Wuhan, China today?
- shocked /shokt/
- cancel /KAN-suhl/
- block /blok/
- crucial /KROO-shuhl/
- measure /MEZH-er/
[adjective] – surprised or upset because something unexpected and usually unpleasant has happened
There was a shocked silence following his announcement.
[verb] – to decide that an organized event will not happen, or to stop an order for goods or services that you no longer want
Because of the bad weather, they had to postpone tomorrow’s game.
[verb] – to prevent movement through something
An angry mob attempted to block her path as she left the court.
[adjective] – extremely important or necessary
Her work was crucial to the success of the project.
[noun] – a way of achieving something, or a method for dealing with a situation
What additional measures should we take to stop terrorism?
On January 23rd, a year has passed since the 11 million-strong central Chinese city was placed under the first coronavirus lockdown in the world. The world was shocked as flights, trains, and buses leaving Wuhan were canceled, highways were blocked and people were ordered to stay in their homes, relying on officials and volunteers for daily necessities. But the Chinese government has now heralded those drastic steps as crucial to curbing the initial outbreak, and similar measures have now been introduced in countries around the world, with lockdowns even taking place in some cities outside of China. In that context, Wuhan has been a success story in taming the virus. There have been no records of a local coronavirus infection for months.
- How many days was the lockdown in Wuhan, China?
- What were the drastic steps that the Chinese government did in Wuhan?
- How many years passed since the 11 million-strong central Chinese city was placed under the first coronavirus lockdown in the world?
- According to the article, what are market sellers doing at dawn?
- What has been erected everywhere in the city in anticipation of the Lunar New Year celebrations?
- How did you feel after reading the article?
- Do you think that your government’s drastic measures are effective?
- What other cities in the world have no records of a local coronavirus infection for months?
- Do you think that people in city are obedient when it comes to following rules?
- Do you think Wuhan’s strict measures would be effective everywhere in the world? Why do you think so?