- intensify /in-TEN-suh-fahy/
- concentration /kon-suhn-TREY-shuhn/
- numerous /NOO-mer-uhs/
- in line with /in lahyn with/
- driver /DRAHY-ver/
[verb] – to become greater, more serious, or more extreme, or to make something do this
The coach intensified the swimming team’s training.
[noun] – a large number or amount of something in the same place
The concentration of toxic chemicals in the area affected the worker’s health during the industrial revolution.
[adjective] – many
Numerous studies have pointed out the effects of climate change.
[idiom] – similar to something or at the same level as something
The company’s results are in line with stock market expectations.
[noun] – something that makes other things progress, develop, or grow stronger
The service sector is the major driver of economic growth this last quarter.
The results are in line with Climate Central’s 2019 research brief, which found that global warming extends the freeze-free season, allowing plants more time to grow, flower, and produce pollen. At the same time, some plants producing allergenic pollen develop even more of it as CO2 levels continue to increase, studies showed. “There’s an enormous body of research on how climate change is already affecting our health. Our study fills in a key piece connecting climate change to pollen, which is one of the largest driver of asthma, allergies, and respiratory health problems,” according to William Anderegg, an assistant professor of biology at The University of Utah and lead author of the study.
True or False:
- Climate change worsened and lengthened the pollen season.
- Pollen concentration increased by 20.9 %.
- Several factors such as temperature and rainfall were monitored.
- The researchers found out that rainfall was the biggest factor.
- The results are in line with Climate Central’s 2020 research.
Situation: You are about to conduct a short speech about how to protect ourselves from the pollen season.
Question: How would you protect yourself from allergens this pollen season?
- To protect ourselves from…
- We should…
Express Your Opinion:
- “Climate change is the greatest threat to our existence in our short history on this planet. Nobody’s going to buy their way out of its effects.”
Mark Ruffalo, Actor & Environmentalist
- “I’ve starred in a lot of science fiction movies and, let me tell you something, climate change is not science fiction. This is a battle in the real world, it is impacting us right now.”
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Actor & Former Governor of California
- “The time for seeking global solutions is running out. We can find suitable solutions only if we act together and in agreement.”
Pope Francis, 266th Catholic Pope