- hazard /HAZ-erd/
- finalize /FAHYN-l-ahyz/
- operational /op-uh-REY-shuh-nl/
- devastating /DEV-uh-stey-ting/
- supplemental /suhp-luh-MEN-tl/
[noun] – something that is dangerous and likely to cause damage
The busy traffic entrance was a hazard to pedestrians.
[verb] – to make a final and certain decision about a plan, date, etc
We need to finalize the plans by tomorrow.
[adjective] – relating to a particular activity
There are operational advantages in our new manufacturing process.
[adjective] – causing a lot of damage or destruction
The devastating effects of the hurricane were felt.
[adjective] – extra
These are supplemental resources that you can use on your research.
The World Meteorological Organization is in charge of naming all tropical systems in every ocean basin worldwide. The list of Atlantic tropical storm names is repeated every six years unless a storm is so deadly or expensive that the WMO removes it from their future lists. Greek letters were used as backups for when all the names of the storms from the list were used. It will now be replaced by a supplemental list of names that follows the same rules as the main Atlantic hurricane season naming list – a list of names from A – Z except the letters Q, U, X, Y, and Z.
True or False:
- The Greek alphabet will no longer be used in naming tropical cyclones according to the World Meteorological Association.
- This decision was finalized in the annual meeting of the WMO’s Hurricane Committee
- The World Meteorological Organization is responsible for naming all tropical systems in all ocean basins around the world.
- The Greek alphabet was used as a backup for when all the names of the storms from the list were used.
- Names of Atlantic storms cannot start from Q, U, X, Y, or Z.
Situation: You are a weather reporter. Inform the viewers on how to prepare for the coming storm.
Question: How can you prepare for a coming storm?
- safety measures
Express Your Opinion:
- ”Every storm runs out of rain, just like every dark night turns into day.” -Gary Allan
- “It is only during a storm that a tree knows how strong it is.” -Matshona Dhliwayo
- “Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program.” -Spencer W. Kimball