I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you like going to bars?
- What is the name of the bar that you usually go to?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- result /ri-ZUHLT/
[noun] – something that happens or exists because of something else
The road has been widened, but the result is just heavy traffic.
- recent /ree-suhnt/
[adjective] – happening or starting from a short time ago
Is that a recent picture?
- employ /em-PLOI/
[verb] – to have someone work or do a job for you and pay them for it
How many people does your company employ?
- mean /meen/
[verb] – to express or represent something such as an idea, thought, or fact
What do you mean by that word?
- aim /eym/
[noun] – a result that your plans or actions are intended to achieve
My main aim in life is to be a good husband and father.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
When the pandemic struck, the owners of Maverick, a small bar in Monterrey, Mexico, learned their company had been abandoned. As a result, Oscar Romo and René Cárdenas adapted to a recent trend that many bars have adopted to keep their employees employed: delivery cocktails. But that is not what the bar is all about. Oscar devised a line when he first opened the bar. Cárdenas, the bar’s marketing partner, said the name Maverick means “meeting place” in Spanish. It is a place where you can meet new people and make new friends. That’s how I Miss My Bar was born, a free, interactive website that launched in June 2020 with the aim of bringing Maverick’s locked-down delivery customers’ atmosphere into their homes. What is the secret to these methods? Sound. I Miss My Bar’s landing page has sounds that resemble “bartender working”, “people talking,” and “street ambiance.” By hearing these, the owners help people feel less lonely during this time of the pandemic.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Maverick is located in Monterrey, Mexico.
- Oscar Romo and René Cárdenas adapted to a recent trend that many bars have adopted to keep their employees employed.
- Maverick means to meet.
- I Miss My Bar was launched in June 2019.
- I Miss My Bar is a free, interactive website.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- His _____ was to build a building for the poor.
- The _____ of his exam was worse than the first one.
- This word _____ celebrate.
- The news that he heard was _____.
- The CEO _____ smart and hardworking people.