- establishment /ih-STAB-lish-muhnt/
- sustain /suh-STEYN/
- notion /NOH-shuhn/
- tactic /tak-tik /
- fascinate /FAS-uh-neyt/
[noun] – a business or other organization, or the place where an organization operates
She spent all her life studying in educational establishments.
[verb] – to cause or allow something to continue for a period of time
It seems difficult for him to sustain relationships with women.
[noun] – a belief or idea
The director does not believe in the notion that seeing violence on television has a harmful effect on children.
[noun] – a planned way of doing something
The success represents a change of their tactics.
[verb] – to interest someone a lot
Music has always fascinated me.
I Miss My Bar’s landing page offers users many auditory choices to re-create the experience of going out for a drink, including “bartender working,” “people chatting,” and “street ambience.” Some of the sounds are only familiar to Monterrey residents, such as the voice of a particular man selling bread on the street. However, the site has fascinated a global audience, with 2 million unique visitors in February alone. Other sites, such as Poolside FM and The Sound of Colleagues, have attempted to fill the void left at home by Covid-19, which has driven people away from their beloved communal spaces over the past year. Sound, according to the creators of the various pages, has a special way of welcoming pre-pandemic life and post-pandemic hope, as well as making people feel less lonely. Experts, on the other hand, believe that the science behind the popularity of these tools is more complicated.
- Why do you think the owners of Maverick thought of this idea?
- Do you think that they had a hard time thinking about this idea? Why or why not?
- Do you think it would also be popular if they did not use sound to attract customers? Please explain your answer.
- If you were the owner of Maverick, what other ideas could you think of?
- Why do you think sound is appealing? Please explain your answer.