- auction /AWK-shuhn /
- humanity /hyoo-MAN-i-tee/
- -based /beist/
- bid /bid/
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
[noun] – a usually public sale of goods or property, where people make higher and higher bids (= offers of money) for each thing, until the thing is sold to the person who will pay most
The emerald necklace will be sold at auction next week.
[noun] – people in general
Solving our environmental problems now will greatly affect the future of humanity.
[suffix] – used to form adjectives showing the main place or area in which something or someone works, lives, or does business
The Singapore-based chef wants to expand business internationally.
[verb] – to offer a particular amount of money for something that is for sale and compete against other people to buy it, especially at a public sale of goods or property
The billionaire bid for the painting.
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
The new marketing initiative was spearheaded by Mr. Roberts.
Proceeds from the auction will be given to various organizations such as UNICEF and UNESCO as part of Jafri’s “Humanity Inspired” initiative. Jafri mentioned the sale as “a moment for humanity” in a statement released by Dubai Cares. “At the beginning of my ‘Humanity Inspired’ initiative, I had a vision to reconnect our broken planet through the hearts, minds, and souls of the children of the world,” Jafri said. “I feel in my heart that we have come one step closer to achieving this tonight, thanks to Andre.”
True or False:
- The biggest canvas painting in the world was sold for $62 million.
- A Dubai-based painter created “The Journey of Humanity”.
- A British businessman purchased the said painting.
- The proceeds of the artwork will be donated to charitable organizations.
- Abdoune paid for twice the original amount of the painting.
Situation: You are going to start a fundraising campaign for an animal shelter in your community.
Question: How would you convince people to donate for this worthy cause?
- act of kindness
Express Your Opinion:
- “A picture is a poem without words”
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”
- “As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others.”
– Audrey Hepburn