© Getty Images
- record high /REK-erd hahy/
- staggering /STAG-uh-ring/
- personnel /pur-suh-NEL/
- reiterate /ree-IT-uh-reyt/
- allocate /AL-uh-keyt/
[noun] – the highest amount or level that something has ever reached
The website achieved a record high of 800 visits per day last month.
[adjective] – very shocking and surprising
A staggering amount of money is needed for his urgent operation.
[noun] – the people who are employed in a company, organization, or one of the armed forces
The military personnel paid tribute to the country’s veteran soldiers.
[verb] – to say something again, once or several times
The mother reiterated to her daughter that she should be home by 9 P.M.
[verb] – to give something to someone as their share of a total amount, to use in a particular way
The organization’s funds were allocated to its respective departments.
The hospitals in India are overwhelmed with the staggering number of COVID-19 patients. “Overwhelmed… It will be a timely help to the people of Delhi if the Ministry of Defense, with the considerable resources at its command, is tasked with the responsibility to provide and man the additional COVID health facilities”, says Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. He added that they need “urgent” help in the transportation of medical oxygen. The Indian government ordered the armed forces to assist in transporting medical oxygen to hospitals. The government also asked retired military medical personnel to assist. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal reiterated that the capital is not getting enough oxygen supplies from the federal government which is in charge of allocating supplies to its states and union territories. The federal government clarified that the challenge lies not on the supply but on transportation. India produces thousands of tonnes of medical oxygen per day however, the problem is the lack of distribution networks.
- What is your opinon about the Indian government asking help from its military regarding the country’s covid situation?
- What are the setbacks in the distribution of medical oxygen in Delhi?
- What could be the reason for the drastic increase of second-wave COVID-19 cases in India?
- What happens when a health system can no longer cope?
- Are you satisfied with how your country is handling the COVID-19 pandemic? Why or why not?
- armed forces
- in charge