- Which between Facebook and Instagram do you use more often?
- How many friends/followers do you have on Facebook/Instagram?
- feed /feed/
- crisis /KRAHY-sis/
- escalate /ES-kuh-leyt/
- dilemma /dih-LEM-uh/
- utilize /YOOT-l-ahyz/
[noun] – a web page, screen, etc. that updates often to show the latest information
I deleted some of my old posts on my Instagram feed.
[noun] – an extremely dangerous or difficult situation
The country is experiencing an economic crisis due to the virus.
[verb] – to become or make something become greater or more serious
The conflict escalated more due to both parties’ tone of voice.
[noun] – a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made
I am in a dilemma whether to take Psychology or Biology in college.
[verb] – to make use of something
We must utilize our resources responsibly.
The new function has been in trials since 2019, aiming to normalize user experience. Many people have been posting to gain popularity or even reputation. The idea seeks to block the anxiety and embarrassment of users over their social media posts that didn’t receive “enough” Likes. This dilemma is more common to young and young adult users, who think highly of what others think of them. On Facebook, users should go to the “Settings & Privacy” area under News Feed Settings (or News Feed Preferences on desktop). From there, you’ll see an option to “Hide number of reactions”. Meanwhile, on Instagram, you can utilize the option by going to the post itself. From there you will see a set of three dots on the upper-right corner, which contains the “Hide Like Count” feature.
In this “Like-free” space, users can now interact with others unworriedly. After all, social networking sites were created for people to stay connected with friends, family, and colleagues.
- According to the article, what is the true essence and use of social media, particularly Facebook and Instagram?
- What could be the possible cause of the soar in the number of social media users based on the article?
- Since when has the new function been in the works?
- What is the main objective of the new function?
- Based on the article, where can we see the new function on both sites?
- Do you think that Facebook and Instagram’s new function would be effective? Why or why not?
- Aside from the ‘Like’ counts, what are the others factors that affect user experience on social media?
- What is your favorite social media site? Why?
- When is it acceptable to ask people for Likes?
- What is your opinion on social media being used as a tool to gain popularity and reputation?