- restriction /ri-STRIK-shuhn/
- resume /ri-ZOOM/
- comply /kuhm-PLAHY/
- effectiveness /ih-FEK-tiv-nes/
- alert /uh-LURT/
[noun] – an official limit on something
Please be aware of the library’s restrictions.
[verb] – if an activity resumes, or if you resume it, it starts again after a pause
Classes will resume on Tuesday.
[verb] – to act according to an order, set of rules, or request
You need to comply with the rules of the school.
[noun] – the degree to which something is effective
The effectiveness of the product made it an instant hit.
[verb] – to warn someone of a possibly dangerous situation
They alerted us to the thieves running around the neighborhood.
Greene King, London’s leading pub has temporarily shut 33 branches as employees were required to go into quarantine after coming into contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19. The UK is set to ease the compulsory self-isolation rules starting Aug 16. With new coronavirus cases hitting 50,000 each day and more people are told to isolate by the app, businesses are calling on the government to ease the rules for fully vaccinated individuals much sooner than next month. Moreover, Helen Dickinson, the CEO of the British Retail Consortium said that they are already facing a severe impact on retail operations due to staff having to self-isolate. “Considering the effectiveness of the ongoing vaccine roll-out program, the government should adjust the August 16th date so that people who are fully vaccinated or have a negative test are not forced to self-isolate when they are alerted by the app.” she added. Meanwhile, Tesco, Britain’s largest grocer was not able to complete some online deliveries on July 18, 2021 after having a shortage of truck drivers. Marks & Spencer (MAKSY) CEO Steve Rowe told The Times newspaper on July 16, 2021 that they could be forced to reduce store hours as a result of labor shortages.
- Have you been vaccinated?
- Do you know anyone who works at a retail store?
- If you were alerted by the COVID-19 app because you were in contact with someone who tested positive for the virus, what would you do first?
- Do you agree that the UK government should ease the isolation rules for the fully vaccinated before August 16?
- In your opinion, should countries badly hit by COVID-19 implement the use of a tracing app?