- How do you talk with your friends when you are not allowed to go out?
- Do you still go out with your friends?
- allow /uh-LOU/
- communication /kuh-myoo-ni-KEY-shuhn/
- move /moov/
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
- unexpected /uhn-ik-SPEK-tid/
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
You’re not allowed to stay up late. Go to sleep at 9 p.m.
[noun] – the act of communicating with people
Nowadays, social media is the most effective way of communication.
[verb] – to go to a different place to live or work
We need these boxes when we move house.
[verb] – to become or to make something become smaller in size, amount, degree, importance, etc.
Should we reduce the price by 20%?
[adjective] – not expected; surprising
The flight’s delay was unexpected.
Counseling professor Suzanne Degges-White encourages people to believe your instinct if you and a friend haven’t talked with each other. Ask yourself six months from now if you would be upset once you end your friendship with him or her. San Francisco-based author and friendship specialist Shasta Nelson agrees. Switching jobs, moving houses, and this pandemic change our friendship network. This is what Degges-White calls “friendscape:” choosing who we want to be with. It’s perfectly normal to reduce the number of friendships we once had since we have a limited range on who to talk with since the start of the pandemic.
Experts say to not end relationships without any reason, but don’t feel forced to put people back into your life, either. Forgive yourself and others, since the last 15 months have been unexpected for everyone.
True or False:
- Experts say it is normal to lose communication with our friends.
- Degges-White encourages people to believe your instinct.
- Shasta Nelson does not agree with Degges-White.
- “Frienscape” is choosing who we want to be with.
- We do not have a limited range of people to talk to during the pandemic.
Fill in the blanks:
- Her sudden resignation was _______. We were all in shock.
- Television is a good means of _______.
- More street lights might help _______ the number of road accidents.
- Are we _______ to go inside the building?
- We will _______ house next week.