©Getty Images via BBC
- Do you always bring an umbrella when you go outside?
- What is the weather in your city right now?
- accurate /AK-yer-it/
- forecast /FAWR-kast/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- experiment /ik-SPER-uh-muhnt/
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
[adjective] – correct, exact, and without any mistakes
Please make sure all the details in the report are accurate.
[noun] – a statement of what is judged likely to happen in the future, especially in connection with a particular situation, or the expected weather conditions
Maya is hoping for a good weather forecast next week.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
I predict that tomorrow’s store opening will be a huge success.
[noun] – a test done in order to learn something or to discover if something works or is true
We had to do an experiment on plants for our school project.
[verb] – to become or to make something become smaller in size, amount, degree, importance, etc.
The store owner reduced the prices of all bread products.
The effects of climate change are challenging the ways meteorologists predict certain weather patterns. According to Met Office partnerships and product innovation head Niall Robinson, extreme weather can result in damages and loss of life. “Given that, better short-term weather forecasts can help people stay safe.”
In an experiment, the AI system was able to see common patterns of rainfall. 50 Met Office meteorologists found 89% of the cases to be accurate. “This will be important for reducing the dangerous effects of climate change today, and could possibly save lives.” DeepMind senior scientist Shakir Mohamed said.
True or False:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) can now find out whether it is going to rain in the next two days.
- The effects of climate change are challenging the ways policemen predict certain weather patterns.
- Extreme weather can result in damages and loss of life according to Niall Robinson.
- In an experiment, the AI system was not able to see common patterns of rainfall.
- Shakir Mohamed is a scientist from DeepMind.
Fill in the blanks:
- There were amazing ______ during the science fair.
- It is hard to ______ football matches.
- The mayor’s goal is to ______ traffic in the city.
- My co-worker’s report was _______.
- The _______ said there would be heavy rainfall tonight.