© GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- amid /uh-MID/
- flee /flee/
- allowance /uh-LOU-uhns/
- migration /mahy-GREY-shuhn/
- mandatory /MAN-duh-tawr-ee/
[preposition] – in the middle of or surrounded by
Several employees were suspended amid the theft allegations.
[verb] – to escape by running away, especially because of danger or fear
They were forced to flee the village due to the hurricane.
[noun] – money that you are given regularly, especially to pay for a particular thing
Food allowances are given to underprivileged families on a bi-weekly basis.
[noun] – the process of people traveling to a new place to live, usually in large numbers
A large number of farmers underwent migration into the cities.
[adjective] – made necessary, usually by law or by some other rule
Attendance is mandatory in meetings unless there is an emergency.
Hungary – 89,561
Moldova – 65,391
Slovakia – 54,304
Romania – 38,461
Belarus – 329
Refugees in Poland and other nations bordering Ukraine can stay in refugee centers where they are fed and given medical attention if they are not with their friends or family. Hungary and Romania are providing food and clothes allowances in cash. Places at local schools are being offered to children. Meanwhile, The Czech Republic activated its Migration Wave Preparedness Plan that will make it easier for refugees to apply for a special type of visa and stay in the country if needed. Refugees are instructed that documents are not mandatory to enter neighboring countries but should bring their internal or foreign travel passports, birth certificates for children traveling with them, and medical records. To qualify for refugee status, they must be Ukrainian citizens or legal residents of Ukraine.
- Are there any refugees in your country? If so, from what countries do you think they are?
- Where are refugee centers located in your country? Do you think there are enough of them? Why or why not?
- If you had the authority, would you accept refugees from Ukraine? Please explain your answer.
- In your opinion, should countries from other continents (such as Asia) open their borders for Ukrainian refugees?
- As citizens, what help can we provide to Ukraine or its refugees?
- estimate (verb)