©Île-de-France Mobilités via CNN
- rendering /REN-der-ing/
- in-depth /IN-DEPTH/
- anticipate /an-TIS-uh-peyt/
- undertaking /uhn-der-TEY-king/
- peak /peek/
[noun] – the way that something is performed, written, drawn, etc
The design team is busy working on some renderings for the new project.
[adjective] – done carefully and in great detail
My professor advised me to make my report more in-depth.
[verb] – to imagine or expect that something will happen
She did not anticipate the success of her clothing business.
[noun] – a job, business, or piece of work
Everyone congratulated Pierre for his new undertaking.
[adjective] – Peak times are the times when most people are using or doing something
It’s best not to visit the city during its peak season.
“The great proposal of the group led by Doppelmayr France will allow, in just over four years, more than 11,000 people per day to save a lot of time, a lot of comfort and perhaps, to dream a little in the mountains,” says Laurent Probst, general director for Île-de-France Mobilités. The Cable 1 project was first proposed in 2008 as part of a larger plan to ease commuting around various suburbs. Paris is not the only European city developing a cable car system. Last year, Amsterdam approved the 1.5 kilometer-long cable car system that will travel across the IJ river, connecting Amsterdam-West and Amsterdam-Noord in 2025.
- Describe your country’s transportation system.
- Have you tried riding a cable car? If yes, how was it? If not, would you like to ride it in the future?
- If you were an urban planner, what project would you propose to improve your city’s transportation system?
- Do you think Paris’ Cable 1 project would be successful?
- In your opinion, why is urban planning important?