- conditional /kuhn-DISH-uh-nl /
- medium /MEE-dee-uhm/
- handwritten /hand-RIT-n/
- exclude /ik-SKLOOD/
- fulfilling /fool-FIl-ing /
[adjective] – a conditional offer or agreement depends on something else being done
The agreement is conditional upon certain environmental investigations.
[noun] – a method or way of expressing something
Television is the modern medium of communication.
[adjective] – written using your hand rather than printed by a machine
The letter was handwritten in black ink.
[verb] – to prevent someone or something from entering a place or taking part in an activity
Tom has been excluded from school due to his misbehavior.
[adjective] – making you feel happy and satisfied
Nursing is demanding work, but it can also be extremely fulfilling.
Friendships today are in some ways more conditional than they were in the past. Even the word “friend” has changed as a result of social media: becoming friends with someone now simply entails clicking “accept” on their friend request without ever saying hello. The internet link has become more important than ever in recent years. So, what is the evolving nature of friendship? Even if interacting through a computer isn’t ruining friendships, many people worry that the way we choose and nurture our friends through digital technology favors low-quality social connections. What should we take away from all of this? Friendship’s mediums and technologies may change, yet much remains the same. Although phone calls and handwritten letters from a few decades ago may appear to be more wholesome than today’s WhatsApp communications, their purpose is the same.
While it may be tempting to keep their electronics locked away and send them outside with a skipping rope, doing so would likelyexclude them from an important community. And while spending every waking hour hunched over a smartphone isn’t a recipe for a fulfilling life, neither is spending every waking moment writing letters.
- How did you meet your best friends? Could you tell me more about them?
- Have you ever written a letter to a friend? Could you tell me more about it?
- If you were to change something about how people communicate now, what would it be? Why?
- Do you agree that the way we choose and nurture our friends through digital technology favors low-quality social connections?
- What can you say about friendships that were built online? Please elaborate on your answer.
- social media