- Could you tell me about a beautiful park you have been to?
- What famous bridge would you like to see someday? Why?
- appreciate /uh-PREE-shee-eyt/
- concept /KON-sept/
- investment /in-VEST-muhnt /
- remark /ri-MAHRK/
- reputation /rep-yuh-TEY-shuhn/
[verb] – to recognize how good someone or something is and to value him, her, or it
It’s useless to buy him expensive wines because he doesn’t appreciate them.
[noun] – a principle or idea
This is a very difficult concept to understand.
[noun] – the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage, or the money, effort, time, etc. used to do this
€1,000 investment is required to open the account.
[verb] – to give a spoken statement of an opinion or thought
He remarked that she appeared to be weak.
[noun] – the opinion that people, in general, have about someone or something, or how much respect or admiration someone or something receives, based on past behavior or character
She has the reputation of being a good lawyer.
Mr. Bowker, whose office is close, says that Kelham Island has experienced a lot of investment and expansion over the last 20 years, but it is aimed toward young people – singles and couples. There is a little outdoor area for families, despite the abundance of residences, pubs, and restaurants. Repaving the bridge and putting permanent benches and planters, he says, could turn it into a location for events and residents. Sheffield City Council spokesperson remarked that the city is proud of its reputation as the “Outdoor City,” and that improving green space is an important part of the city’s development. He went on to note that the Ball Street Bridge was now closed to traffic as part of Kelham’s active transportation policy to encourage walking and cycling and that when putting such efforts in place, factors like emergency vehicle access must be considered.
- According to an architect, into what could the Victorian bridge in Sheffield be transformed?
- Who is the architect mentioned in the article?
- When has the bridge been closed to traffic?
- Who praised the concept of the architect?
- What could be the result of repaving the bridge and putting permanent benches and planters?
- What are some of the famous bridges in your country? Could you tell me something about them?
- Do you know a place that has been converted to something else because of a particular purpose? Could you tell me something about it?
- If you were to convert a place to something else, what would it be? Why?
- Do you support the idea of converting a bridge into a park?
- In your opinion, should the bridge have emergency vehicle access? Why?