- patent /PAT-nt/
- artificial intelligence /ahr-tuh-FISH-uhl in-TEL-i-juhns/
- avow /uh-VOU/
- pioneer /pahy-uh-NEER/
- adjudication /uh-joo-di-KEY-shuhn/
[verb] – to get the official legal right to make or sell an invention
If you don’t patent your invention, other people may make all the profit out of it.
[noun] – the study of how to produce machines that have some of the qualities that the human mind has, such as the ability to understand language, recognize pictures, solve problems, and learn
To understand “natural language,” computers must be equipped with artificial intelligence.
[verb] – to admit something or say something publicly
He avowed himself to be an opponent of all alliances.
[verb] – to be one of the first people to do something
It was universities that pioneered these new industries.
[noun] – the act of judging a case, competition, or argument, or of making a formal decision about something
His adjudication was later found to be faulty.
The IPO said that it will “need to understand how our IP system should protect AI-devised inventions in the future.” The organization also disclosed that it will advance international discourse to keep the UK ahead. In a case brought by Mr. Thaler in 2021, an Australian court decided that AI structures could be patent innovators. South Africa’s ruling was equivalent. On appeal, Australia’s adjudication was reversed. Many self-thinking computer technologies can learn from internet data. The IPO declared undisputable intentions to change copyright law so anyone with legal access can work on it. This is better than non-commercial researchers promoting AI and “data mining” for the public good. Rights holders can still charge for access to their projects, but not for extracting them.
- Can you share an instance where you encountered artificial intelligence in your life?
- AI includes self-driving cars. Have you ridden one? If so, how was it? If no, do you want to ride on it?
- Would you encourage people to use AI? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that AI-based inventions should be patented?
- AI advancements include AI-created technologies. How would you explain its pros and cons to people?
- Intellectual Property Office
- data mining