- Do you know a famous city?
- Do you use mud in construction in your country?
- architect /AHR-ki-tekt/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt /
- condition /kuhn-DISH-uhn/
- flash flood /flash fluhd/
- heat /heet /
[noun] – a person whose job is to design new buildings and make certain that they are built correctly
The architect checked the building of the mall.
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
People have lived in the cave since ancient times.
[noun] – the physical situation that someone or something is in and affected by
Driving conditions are dangerous due to thick fog.
[noun] – a sudden and severe flood
Flash floods were caused by the abnormally heavy rain in a number of mountain towns.
[noun] – the quality of being hot or warm, or the temperature of something
Can you manage to work in this heat without air conditioning?
Mud towers rise to great heights in Sana’a, Yemen’s historic walled city. Sana’a is a city that has been recognized by Unesco as a World Heritage Site for its unique mud architecture. Even though Sana’a’s structures stretch back thousands of years, according to Salma Samar Damluji, co-founder of the Daw’an Mud Brick Architecture Foundation in Yemen, the majority of the old buildings are still in use as homes and places today.
Architects from all over the world are reviving the use of mud in construction in an effort to create sustainable buildings that can prevent extreme weather conditions like flash floods and extreme heat. Could this outdated architectural style have an impact on the layout of our cities and homes in the future? With this return to the beginning strategy, may the climate crisis be largely resolved?
True or False:
- Sana’a is Yemen’s historic walled city.
- Sana’a is a city that has been recognized by Unesco as a World Heritage Site for its unique mud architecture.
- Salma Samar Damluji is the co-founder of the Daw’an Mud Brick Architecture Fund in Yemen.
- Using mud in construction can prevent extreme weather conditions.
Fill in the blanks:
- The sun sends out light and __________.
- The building is the work of an _________.
- Under what __________ do these plants grow best?
- The __________ temple destroyed in the war will be reconstructed soon.
- A __________ flooded the campsite.