- Have you already tried kayaking?
- Do you live near a river?
- situation /sich-oo-EY-shuhn /
- pollution /puh-LOO-shuhn/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- raise /reyz/
- smell /smel/
[noun] – the set of things that are happening and the conditions that exist at a particular time and place
The situation was becoming increasingly stressful.
[puh-LOO-shuhn] – damage caused to water, air, etc. by harmful substances or waste
That company is responsible for the pollution in the river.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Finding a solution to this problem is one of the most difficult challenges that scientists face today.
[verb] – to cause to exist
The idea raises a number of important issues.
[noun] – the characteristic of something that can be recognized or noticed using the nose
I should get rid of that smell in the bathroom.
True or False:
- A group of Gloucestershire students kayaked the length of the River Thames in two days.
- The challenge would raise money for Surfers Against Sewage.
- Water samples would be collected along the route to document river pollution.
- Two tutors and four Cirencester College students made up the group.
- Joshua River was concerned about the river’s pollution levels.
Fill in the blanks:
- The employee plans to _________ the issue of overtime.
- What’s your favorite perfume __________?
- The problem of __________ in the city can still be solved.
- I’m ready for any __________.
- The traffic __________ is turning ugly.