- grand slam /grand-slam /
- spiritual /SPIR-i-choo-uhl/
- accomplished /uh-KOM-plisht/
- desire /dih-ZAHYUHR/
- convey /kuhn-VEY/
[noun] – an occasion when someone wins all of a set of important sports competitions
At the Australian Open in 2007, he won his 10th Grand Slam title.
[adjective] – relating to deep feelings and beliefs, especially religious beliefs
This is a deeply spiritual piece of music.
[adjective] – skilled
She’s a very accomplished pianist.
[verb] – to want something, especially strongly
The place had everything you could possibly desire.
[verb] – to express a thought, feeling, or idea so that it is understood by other people
She doesn’t want to convey the impression that she’s not interested.
Williams has won the most women’s singles matches at major tournaments and the most singles major titles since turning 30. She is the only tennis player, male or female, to have claimed at least six victories in each of the four Grand Slam events. Williams, who will turn 41 in a month, needs to put parenthood, following her spiritual goals, and discovering a fresh, exciting Serena first. She will find delight in her career for the next several weeks. She shared it on social media. Williams is one of the best and most accomplished athletes in the sport’s long history. Instead of using the word “retirement,” she chooses to think of this stage of her life as a shift away from tennis and toward other important things to her. Williams said she and Ohanian desired a second child, but she didn’t want to get pregnant again while taking part in an athletic competition. She had to remain two feet within or outside of the court at all times. She conveyed her regret by saying that she didn’t want it to end, but she was ready for what would happen next.
- Do you follow tennis? If so, do you think there will be another player as great as Serena Williams? If not, what kinds of sports do you follow? Could you tell me about it?
- Who are your country’s most accomplished female athletes? Could you tell me about them?
- If you were a famous athlete, who would you like to be? Why?
- Do you believe there will come a time in life when we have to decide to move in a different direction?
- What do you think of Serena Williams’ decision to step away from tennis?
- shift away