I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you like robots?
- What kind of robot do you want to have?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- increase /in-KREES/
- deliver /dih-LIV-er/
- goods /gudz/
- lack /lak/
- spend /spend/
[verb] – to (make something) become larger in amount or size
The temperature today has increased by about three degrees.
[verb] – to take goods, letters, packages, etc. to people’s houses or places of work
The company will deliver the package by tomorrow.
[noun (plural)] – items for sale, or possessions that can be moved
The shop sells goods from Japan.
[noun] – the fact that something is not available or that there is not enough of it
Lack of water has been the village’s problem for months now.
[verb] – to give money as a payment for something
Anne spends a lot of money on clothes.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Amazon has increased the use of robots as the need for cost-cutting measures grows and sales growth slows. Almost 75 percent of the packages that the business has shipped have already been handled by a robotic device. The Sparrow, its newest robot, can pick up items before they are placed in boxes and can freely move with workers on the warehouse floor. Amazon will also start using drones to deliver goods in the US later this year. However, Tye Brady, Amazon Robotics’ chief technology officer, says that this will reach 100%, or almost, in the next five years. “Jobs will change for sure, but the need for humans will always be there,” Mr. Brady said. Dwight Klappich, research vice president for Gartner’s logistics branch, notes that the lack of human workers has caused businesses to spend more money on robotics. Amazon’s drones will transport 500 million packages per year by the end of the decade. Still, that will only represent a small portion of the 5 billion shipments per year that the corporation claims it currently manages.
True or False
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Almost 85 percent of the packages that Amazon has shipped have already been handled by a robotic device.
- Amazon’s newest robot is the Sparrow.
- Amazon will start using drones to deliver packages in the US later this year.
- Dwight Klappich says that the lack of human workers has caused businesses to spend more money on robotics.
- Amazon’s drones will transport 500 million packages per year by the end of this year.
Fill in the blanks
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- How much did you _______ at the bookstore?
- Please _______ these mails to the office tomorrow.
- Your headache is probably due to a _______ of sleep.
- The books in his collection have _______. He has more books now.
- Could you check again? It seems like the _______ were delivered to the wrong address.