- Could you tell me about your job?
- What do you think of moonlighting?
- specialist /SPESH-uh-list/
- log in /lawg-IN/
- work on /wurk on/
- income /IN-kuhm/
- conflict /KON-flikt/
[noun] – someone who has a lot of experience, knowledge, or skill in a particular subject
Is he the specialist who studies UFOs?
[phrasal verb] – to connect to a computer system by putting in a particular set of letters or numbers
In order to log in, you have to type in a special password.
[phrasal verb] – to spend time repairing or improving something
We began work on the project in May.
[noun] – money that is earned from doing work or received from investments
Do you have any foreign sources of income?
[noun] – an active disagreement between people with opposing opinions or principles
John often comes into conflict with his boss.
Diya, a 32-year-old Bangalore-based software developer, logs in remotely every day to work an eight-hour shift. She works very hard at her job, but when the day is over, she logs on to her second job, which is also in IT, to maintain her professionalism. Diya is a great animator, and she’s presently working on a project that pays almost as much and takes less time than her regular job. It also gives her the chance to develop her skills and increase her income. Diya holds a full-time job in addition to marketing her skills to a different business. Because she must put in roughly 40 hours per week for her employer, and as long as she does so honestly, she sees no reason why she shouldn’t also have a side business. Moonlighting is unethical, according to Rishad Premji, head of the Indian IT and consulting firm Wipro.
In certain instances, if all parties agree, it could be fair for a worker to take on a second job. If an employee is delivering great work and there are no conflicts of interest or privacy violations, the company shouldn’t object to them running a side business.
- Why have some Indian computer specialists been able to work two jobs or start side businesses?
- What does Diya do?
- What is she presently working on?
- Why does she see no reason why she should not also have a side business?
- Who is Rishad Premji?
- Do you ever consider having two jobs at the same time? Why or why not?
- Do you work remotely? Could you tell me about it?
- If you knew that some of your employees were moonlighting, would you fire them? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that there are instances where it might be fair for a worker to take up a second job?
- What do you think of the quality of the work of employees who have two jobs?