- How does climate change affect your daily life?
- What do you do to help lessen climate change’s effects?
- grant /grahnt/
- shortage /SHAWR-tij/
- revise /ri-VAHYZ/
- gap /gap/
- peak /peek/
[noun] – an amount of money given especially by the government to a person or organization for a special purpose
They gave her a grant to study abroad for a year.
[noun] – a situation in which there is not enough of something
Many companies are suffering from a shortage of skilled workers.
[verb] – to change or correct something, especially a piece of writing
Faculty members should work together to revise the school curriculum.
[noun] – a difference between two numbers, amounts, or levels
Forecasters predict a budget gap of nearly $20 billion next year.
[adjective] – times when most people are using or doing something
Last year, terminal response slowed significantly during peak hours.
Hub manager Maxine Narburgh explained that the funding was “incredibly disappointing” due to the lack of installers. She also noted significant skill gaps, such as overlaps between her project and others run by the council. By 2050, 29 million homes in the UK will need solar panels, low-carbon heating systems, and improved energy efficiency explains Narburgh. A recent study indicates that the total number of workers trained in retrofitting should be at least 100,000 and up to 200,000 at peak times since employees will not always work full-time on new installations.
- According to a recent study, how many people and how much money are needed to build housing that meets government climate targets in the UK?
- How much funding has the Greater South East Net Zero Hub received?
- How long did the hub’s project last?
- How many houses in the UK will need solar panels, low-carbon heating systems, and improved energy efficiency by 2050?
- Based on recent research, how many trained workers are needed for retrofitting?
- Does your home have energy-efficient features (solar panels, low-carbon heating systems, etc.)? Please share in class.
- What factors do you look for when choosing a home?
- If you were Narburgh, what would you suggest the government should do?
- Given the lack of workers, will the hub fulfill the government’s climate targets by 2050?
- In your opinion, which is the biggest problem for the hub: the funds, the lack of workers, or the time needed to train employees? Why?