- What kinds of sports are popular in your country? Could you tell me about them?
- Could you tell me about your best friend?
- maintain /meyn-TEYN/
- opponent /uh-POH-nuhnt /
- personality /pur-suh-NAL-i-tee/
- impact /im-PAKT/
- guidance /GAHYD-ns/
[verb] – to continue to have; to keep in existence, or not allow to become less
We aim to maintain high standards of customer care.
[noun] – a person who someone is competing against in a sports event
He knocked his opponent down with a single blow.
[noun] – the type of person you are, shown by the way you behave, feel, and think
She has a very strong personality.
[verb] – to have an influence on something
The event negatively impacted her life.
[noun] – help and advice about how to do something or about how to deal with problems connected with your work, education, or personal relationships
Children look to their parents for guidance.
One of the tournament’s most moving moments occurred during the women’s semifinal match between Ons Jabeur and Tatjana Maria at the 2022 Wimbledon tennis championships. Jabeur is even known as “Auntie Ons” to Maria’s children and has talked about her love for her rival. Ons Jabeur claims that Tatjana’s family is wonderful and that she adores them a great deal. Nothing in the competition to reach the Grand Slam final changed that, and both athletes honored one another’s accomplishments following Jabeur’s triumph. Maria claims that they both knew they would play their hearts out and that they would stick together afterward. It could be challenging to build and maintain a close friendship with a rival in your field.
Furthermore, whether the competition motivates you to perform to the best of your ability or makes you feel self-conscious and limits your success will depend on your personality and the nature of your relationship with your rival. Even if this is a topic that has not received much attention, psychological research can help us comprehend how rivalry impacts our relationships and our performance. These studies can also offer us some guidance that could improve our relationships with our competitors.
- What could be both challenging and advantageous?
- Who are Ons Jabeur and Tatjana Maria?
- What is Ons Jabeur’s opinion about Tatjana’s family?
- What motivates you to perform to the best of your ability?
- How can psychological research help us?
- How is your relationship with your friends? Please elaborate on your answer.
- What sports do you play with your friends? Could you tell me about it?
- Would you be friends with a professional rival? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that rivals can be friends?
- Do you think a healthy relationship with your professional rival inspires you to perform to the best of your potential? Please elaborate on your answer.