- Can you tell me about a special memory from your childhood?
- What was the first thing you ever learned to cook or bake by yourself?
- obsession /uhb-SESH-uhn/
- come across /kuhm uh-KRAWS/
- aware /uh-WAIR/
- specialize /SPESH-uh-lahyz/
- faith /feyth/
[noun] – something or someone that you think about all the time
Her obsession with social media led to her spending most of her time scrolling through her feeds.
[phrasal verb] – to find something by chance
I came across a beautiful painting while browsing through an art gallery.
[adjective] – knowing that something exists, or having knowledge or experience of a particular thing
I am aware of the situation.
[verb] – to study or work on a particular subject or skill more than any others, so that you become an expert in it
He specializes in repairing antique watches.
[noun] – great trust or confidence in something or someone
She has faith that everything will work out in the end.
A recent survey indicated that almost six in ten US parents are concerned about their children reaching developmental milestones. However, few people were aware of the timing of events. According to Chris Sheldrick, a research associate professor at Boston University who specializes in pediatric screening procedures, a milestone is a description of behavior that parents either believe their child can accomplish or cannot do. He makes reference to the word’s literal meaning. A “milestone” or marker may be present at the 5K mark of a 10K race. By definition, no one has passed at the start of the race. By the end of the race, everyone has.
Parents must comprehend that reaching developmental milestones is not a race. They serve as a reference for medical experts to track a child’s development and make sure it is proceeding at a normal rate. Parents should not compare their children to others and should have faith in their children’s ability to develop at their own rate.
- What are milestone cards?
- According to a recent survey, how many US parents are concerned about their children reaching developmental milestones?
- What is Chris Sheldrick’s area of expertise?
- How does Chris Sheldrick describe the meaning of milestones?
- What is the purpose of developmental milestones according to the passage?
- Do you worry about milestones? Why or why not?
- What things do you consider milestones in your life?
- If parents understood what developmental milestones were expected and at what age, how would it change their perception of their child’s development?
- Do you agree that parents should trust their child’s individual development pace rather than compare it to others?
- What is the impact of social media on parents’ perception and understanding of developmental milestones? Please elaborate on your answers.