- consortium /kuhn-SAWR-shee-uhm/
- flagship /FLAG-ship/
- oversee /oh-ver-SEE/
- urge /urj/
- designated /DEH-zugh-nay-tuhd/
[noun] – an organization of several businesses or banks joining together as a group for a shared purpose
A European consortium created the brand-new aircraft.
[noun] – the best or most important product, idea, building, etc. that an organization owns or produces
The business already has a flagship location in New York and plans to add another there the following year.
[verb] – to watch or organize a job or an activity to make certain that it is being done correctly
She oversees both the production and research sections.
[verb] – to strongly advise or try to persuade someone to do a particular thing
We urge caution in taking this medication.
[adjective] – marked, separated, or given a name for a particular purpose
These locations are designated areas for children.
Under the program, every producer headquartered in Scotland will be required to add 20 pence to each product they make before it is sold anywhere in the nation. The retailer will be charged for it and then bill the customer. To receive their money back, customers must bring their empty bottles or cans to a designated return point, like a vending machine in a grocery store. All types of beverages and containers with a capacity of more than 50 milliliters and up to three liters are covered by the program. The project will have an effect on small and large businesses as well as convenience stores and supermarkets, explained David Harris, chief executive of Circularity Scotland, who described it as “a very major piece of environmental infrastructure.”
- What single-use plastic products do you often use?
- How do you dispose of the single-use plastic products you use? Do you recycle them?
- If you were a producer not based in Scotland, would you participate in the program? Why or why not?
- Do you think the 20-pence charge per product is too much or too low?
- How will the program affect both the environment and businesses? Please share your thoughts.